They say that a cluttered life is a stressed life. Or something like that. And I do have to agree. Having too much stuff makes me feel tense. I hate having stuff spilling out all over the place. Don’t get me wrong: I love my books, heirloom china, having more than 5 outfits to wear and all of my many, many costumes, but…there is a line. And I crossed it a long time ago. So, it’s time to retrace those steps and de-clutter.
As I pack up my entire life for moving to another city (probably another state), I need to go through all of my possessions and eliminate excess. I have already rid my life of tons of stuff, but I need to rid my life of more. I may need to light some scented candles and have beautiful music playing to do it, but it’s time. I don’t want to have to move all of that junk anyway, right?
I’ll ask myself these questions to decide what to hold onto and what to get rid of:
- Do I (would I once I have a place of my own) use this often?
- If I don’t, is it something I love that cannot be replaced?
- Am I keeping this because I feel obligated to?
- Do I think I should love this, but don’t actually?
- Is this a “just in case” item?
- Do I have multiples of this item?
- Will I ever actually read this book again?
- Is this resource book still relevant for the types of writing I do now?
- Would someone else benefit more from owning this?
- Do I really want to move this to my new home?
- Will this fit in a small 1-2 bedroom apartment/townhouse?
- Does this still fit?
- Will I ever wear this again?
- If I won’t, is this sentimental t-shirt something I will ever actually use for a craft project of some kind?
- If it got damaged in storage, can it be repaired/cleaned well enough to use again?